14 December 2011

DIY - Attach a Wine Crate to Your Bicycle Rack -- Version 2 Updates

A very Merry (and Red) Christmas Poinsettia in my front bicycle crate to start things off with!



Poinsettia Christmas Bicycle by RidingPretty


A while ago I did a post DIY - Attach a Wine Crate to Your Bicycle Rack. Since then I have collected lots of various wine crates, wine boxes, slated style crates of all sizes and woods types. I like to switch it up a bit -- never wishing to permanently bolt one particular crate to my back bicycle rack.

In this example I decided to use very thick leather latigo strips to attach (cinch) my crate. I was going for a more natural earthly look...



DIY bicycle crate on rear bike rack by RidingPretty by RidingPretty



DIY bicycle crate on rear bike rack by RidingPretty

DIY bicycle crate on rear bike rack by RidingPretty


The crate pictured here is one I found at the thrift store. I believe it to be a gardeners caddy. The handles are turned down. With the handles turned down it provides a convenient way to support simple cloth canvas tote bags -- voilĂ  a simple pannier.




DIY bicycle crate on rear bike rack by RidingPretty by RidingPretty


For some time now I have been collecting vintage wine crates, plus collecting wine boxes from local vintners like say-- a spiffy Bonny Doon wine box . The problem I have is this. I'm not sure I want to go drilling holes in some of the nicer vintage and collectible ones in my collection. There are a couple I'm willing to sacrifice, so we shall see.

I keep recalling this tale I was told -- someone found at a thrift shop a rare vintage Dom PĂ©rignon Champagne crate for $2.00. He promptly drilled holes in it and attached it to his bicycle rack. Oh, NO! The box was worth a pretty penny. The holes knocked at least $100 of its value should he ever decide to resell it!


In this next version the vintage beverage box crate is bolted on the back rack...

DIY bolted on bike wine crate by RidingPretty

DIY bolted on bike wine crate by RidingPretty

The crate is attached to the bamboo bicycle in the foreground. The bamboo bicycle was rather nice in and of itself! I like how a beverage crate was used - Par-T-Pak. Sounds like a party to me!


Share/Save/Bookmark